1) Gameplay elapses over 6 days (rounds) Each day, each player gets one turn.
2) Territories are now zones and continents are now sectors.
3) Four zones can change (spin/slide).
4) Infantry units are robot modes and Calvary units are alt modes.
5) Leaders (the 4 main pieces) can switch between alt and robot mode and have special powers based on which form they use.
6) Sealines are now known as hyperlinks.
7) Cards offer upgrades to the players.
To set up the board, place the sliding zones (Moon Alpha/Decagon) and the spinning zones (Praxus/Pion tower) in position using the plastic tacks. Choose between 2 to 4 players, than choose your leaders. Each leader starts with 30 drones. There are 3 different modes of play:
2-Player (Head to Head) - One Autobot vs One Decepticon
3-Player (Free For All) - One Autobot vs Two Decepticons
4-Player (Allied Forces) - Two Autobots vs Two Decepticons
Each leader has a start point and is granted one drone to start with on his space. The start points are coded by color and faction. Starting with the youngest (or roll off) player, each player takes a turn placing one drone on each zone. There are 42 zones in all. Once all zones are filled, you can then place additional drones on an already 'controlled' zone until all 30 drones are spent. Each player gets a reference card. Upgrade cards are then shuffled and placed face down. Finally, the first player in queue places one of the drones from the 'scrapheap' (which is the leftover drones subtracted from the original 30) on Day 1. Play then begins.
During gameplay, if you capture a zone you win an upgrade card. Any destroyed robots return to the scrapheap. Zones must always be occupied by at least one robot. You can trade in 3 infantry for one calvary during your turn, or vice versa.
I'll leave it here. The game looks very complex yet interesting to play. The pieces are done up well and the board is fabulous. If you're a Risk afficionado, this game is right up your alley. Even if you're a rookie like me, if you like long games involving strategy and roleplay, this is worth the money.
|Date||June 25th 2007|
|Score||(10 out of 10)|