Transformers 4 Age of Extinction Image Compares All Four Optimus Prime Leader Class Movie Figures Sizes
The debate rages on about the Transformers 4 Age of Extinction Optimus Prime First Edition Leader class figure. Thanks to our tformers member Goktimus Prime who posted an image on facebook showing all four of the Transformers movie Leader class action figures side-by-side. Get a look at the 2007 Transformers, 2009 Revenge of the Fallen, 2011 Dark of the Moon, and 2014 Age of Extinction figures in robot mode shown left to right.
Leader Class movie Optimus Primes comparison. We can see that the first figure in 2007 was already an excellent toy (IMHO the best Optimus Prime toy made since 1995's G2 Laser OP). ROTF Optimus Prime was an even better toy, and subsequent improvements were made with DotM Leader Optimus Prime. So for the first three movies, we've seen a progression of really good Leader Optimus Prime toys, each better than the last. Unfortunately Age of Extinction Leader Optimus Prime has bucked this trend, giving us what would be the weakest Movie Leader Class Optimus Prime toy. It's not a terrible toy, but it's not fantastic either. If you really want to get this toy, get it on discount. Do NOT pay full price for it.
+ Silver and coloured chrome looks nice
+ Head is beautifully sculpted; a lot better than Buster Optimus Prime's IMHO. Eyes are also light-piped.
+ Reasonably decent (though not spectacular) robot and truck modes
+ Sword stowage on the undercarriage is a nice nod to G2 Laser Optimus Prime (who was also a Western Star truck like AoE OP).
+ Rubber tyres are a nice touch
- Very much a panelformer, carrying a rather ungainly backpack
- Backpack blocks the arms from moving backwards.
- I would've preferred to see more chrome on the vehicle mode, even if it meant reducing the chrome on the robot mode (which IMO isn't as essential). Things like the smoke stacks and tanks would've looked a lot nicer in chrome.
- Side windows are just unpainted blue plastic.
- Rear of the truck mode looks incredibly cheap. The rear wheel section is a single hollow piece with wheels tacked on the sides... kinda like G1 Roller. There's also an unsightly gap in the rear of the cab itself.
- No wrist articulation!
- The shield doesn't fold up or anything in truck mode (like say DotM Leader Class Sentinel Prime's shield). It's just a single piece that sits on the back because it has nowhere else to go. It doesn't seem to really add anything to the truck mode, and it's certainly not attempting to hide itself in stowage.
It's not a terrible toy and is nicer IRL than in pics. But it's by no means a great toy either. Recommended only if you want a Leader Class AoE Optimus Prime toy and you can get this toy at below RRP. It is NOT worth paying full price for.
Stay tuned to Tformers.com for more details as they are made available. Your best resource for all the Transformers news and community every day.