BotCon 2007 - IDW Panel Report
IDW Publications held a Q&A Panel today at BotCon2007. Included in the panel were Bill Forrestor (The Ark G1 Animation Guide), Jim Sorenson (The Ark G1 Animation Guide), Nick Roche (Artist/Writer), Josh Burcham (Colors), Alex Milne (Writer), Rob Musso (Artist) and Dan Taylor (Editor). Dan showed some slides of upcoming works which include Devastation, TF vs New Avengers and Beast Wars: Ascending. He then fielded answers from the audience. Below, we have highlighted most of the pertinent answers given:
- The cover art for TF vs New Avengers part 4 will feature Megatron and Spiderman. Artwork is yet to be approved.
- A Star Trek/TF crossover was submitted by IDW but was promptly rejected by Hasbro. IDW cited poor response from the X-Men/Star Trek crossover as a possible reason.
- A Beast Wars sourcebook is currently being completed for release around October 2007. It will come in 3 volumes of 48pgs each. There will also be a limited edition featuring signatures from all the contributing artists/writers, as well as plans for a hardbook version featuring artwork from none other than Don Figeuroa.
- When asked about a Beast Wars prequel, Dan hinted that Simon Furman was interested in such a project and it may be possible in the future. However, it is not on the current agenda.
- Beast Wars MTMTE will be reprinted and there may be hardbook editions available.
- The "Dinobot Hunt" series from the UK comics will be released in the near future. When asked about a standalone Dinobots series, Dan Taylor said answers might be avaiable at SDCC next month.
- Spotlight Kup originally wasn't expected to be approved but got high approval from Hasbro. The bio-organic creature that Kup beheaded was intended to be all organic, but was changed at Hasbro's request.
- Fans asked about several Spotlight options including Rodimus Prime. As with Evolutions, IDW is accepting storylines from writers to weigh options. Dan Taylor threw out the name Arcee as a possible spotlight to which the audience responded in roaring approval.
- The Evolutions series is still viable. They are accepting submissions from writers to see where the next arc will take place. Dan Taylor expressed interest of an outtake from HG Well's "War of the Worlds" as a highly possible arc.
- Hearts of Steel was originally intended to have 5 books, but was cut back to 4 at the last minute. There may be a sequel to this arc.
- IDW has hopes of completing all arcs from the previous DreamWave venture, but as of this time cannot acquire any more than they already have citing 'legalities'.
- Japanese characters (Masterforce, Victory, etc) are currently not slated for any releases but Dan Taylor said "surprises" do happen.
- A Premier Edition tradeback will be released this fall featuring all the works so far completed by IDW.
- IDW will have a 'secret' meeting with Hasbro in July to discuss future endeavors. Hints at future projects included a tie in to the Animated series due to air on Cartoon Network January 2008. IDW is also interested in a 'end continuity' series for the G1 line.
Online Transformers Shopping
Search Online Stores for Transformers Legacy
More Conventions Center News & Reviews