Mr. Hidetsugu Yoshioka has been illustrating manga since the early days of the Transformers. He is the artist behind the limited edition e-HOBBY that remain involved in a number of Transformers products. He sits down to an interview with Andrew Hall of e-HOBBY to talk about Mr. Yoshioka's illustration work for Transformers. This is the first of the three part interview. The original in-language interview is here. Read the Google translated interview below.
---- Begin translated interview --------
Aug 02, 2012
Yoshioka Interview Part 1
Mr. Hidetsugu Yoshioka is the illustrator until now since the early days of the Transformers, including the limited edition e-HOBBY, that remain involved in a number of Transformers products. This time in an interview with Andrew Hall of e-HOBBY that I think has been asked about the world of work technique of Mr. Yoshioka, of illustration, to the Transformers. delivered separately ultra-long talk session could not be communicated only by e-HOBBY magazine, into three parts!
Yoshioka and Hydra
Outer shell of calm appearance opens Innovation blunder, each fan popping hot!
- What a kid I liked what toys, a TV program?
Yoshioka: children's programs are not Feel like I'd be watching what is a street view. If they were in the counterprogram is zapping or to get. But here this week, next week was a TV child is like, over there.
Program - did you like toys and when the child is, Why did affect the picture Mr. Yoshioka still draw?
Yoshioka: has been traced. At that time at that time, there was something like, I'm going I changed, with the years. (Laughs)
I liked when I was a child, looking into adulthood, it feels like this is not so much. I was a kid I are going to like Urutosebun.
- Do you still differences in retrospect?
Yoshioka: Once past the age of 20, "Oh, I like my [Ultraman came back] and was [Ultraman Ace]!" I have noticed that.
- I also like it was special effects other than anime. Why at that time had been broadcast many programs of the way from abroad?
Yoshioka: was also have a look at overseas program, "Super Boy" or "Superman". Although there was a gimmick that tries to boom their own comics as a child ... Kobunsha. It was a blockbuster or "Superman" Monthly (laughs), movies, or have been drawn in the Spider-Man and Hulk magazine series, Moon Knight is a writer of ... Japan something. Well, I've read. Looking or "Captain America" there (laughs) or impact is strong picture of Jack Kirby.
American comic books have been published in Kobunsha
- Do you at that time there was such a boom in Japan?
It was not until I go boom boom or that, If you look at: Yoshioka.
There was the time in elementary school and "Let's wake the boom" is the publishers, or purchase from abroad pretty, it is called, Let's try something like the American comic in Japan. For manga, I is not had a king "adventure" and "TV Magazine" to others.
- After ten years, and that will draw your own illustrations of the TV magazine ...
Yoshioka: It is Kangaibukai.
- When is the Transformers, I first got involved in or is from the "Super God Masterforce". I heard that was also responsible for box art for Mega Pretender.
Yoshioka: For line drawing of Mega Pretender is. Masterforce is not so well drawn but almost. Thunder and Blaze wing cross much of the overseas edition. The brochure is what I drew as a draft or cut certain thunderclap. After depicting feel like a cut or modification of the written explanation will Lightfoot. (Laughs)
Whether it was actually in print even though it is uncertain. You did not feel like I try to look back and printed later.
- Why is primarily responsible for those overseas also "Victory"?
Victory did not draw so well: Yoshioka. I painted the illustrations for the first package of the squadron was dinosaur dinosaur. It has also created a diorama background of the Star Saber then, it was a box of lateral specification has been changed before.
- Why make a diorama that is, Why did you make something three-dimensional?
Yoshioka: diorama for the package did his pay. So too was the box of Star Saber. Turn off the masking tape on an acrylic plate, is applied with the light from the bottom.
- I have heard before Transformers, it has received a job as a professional for the first time, and "Samurai Trooper armor Den" way.
Yoshioka: Well it was printed. There was a thing when it comes to who the money was drawn, which I have drawn some of the rough fist of Recca Samurai Trooper for the first time.
- Compared to the transformer and Samurai Trooper, who either was higher the degree of difficulty or experience with that feeling. What was?
Yoshioka: When the thing, so it is no different. Victory is from the time of the Transformers, I think it was the main other things.
- What was in charge throughout the bay and also Hyper Samurai Trooper?
Yoshioka: Yes, it was time went to the College of Design. "Then, too" because a friend had said, and "Let's go here" in recruitment ads went with that feeling. I came I (laugh) with three people.
- We moved to Tokyo to enter the school originally What is design?
No Nan focuses on: Yoshioka. Of the plan is especially did not (laughs). From another is the story of a quarter of a century ago.
- When the vocational school or "I want to be a cartoonist", or whatever you want to draw the illustrations Did you?
Yoshioka: I went into the Department of industrial design is not tentatively, I was interested in was the relationship will not toys. I become a manga artist was not. I wanted to be so-called illustrator, illustrator, and my first did not know what there is also the direction of such talent over there. But it is also probably did not become an industrial designer. (Laughs)
- It was the direction I wanted to become an illustrator 's not a cartoonist.
I was more vague: Yoshioka. So was just guys well into the school, called "I like special effects," "I like anime," "I like manga" around, to make a garage kit guys such, striped or sold at Wonder Festival was.
- The next question is from users who are submitted to Twitter, "I have heard Mr. Yoshioka and had been working on the package art, If you have any favorite things, please tell us."
Yoshioka: No, all work of the past is embarrassing. Embarrassed (laughs) all.
- It is rapidly evolving as an artist, or because to grow.
Do not know whether you are growing: Yoshioka. But may have evolved, whether or not the progress I do not know. Growth probably will not (laughs).
- In, or favorite things, like feeling multiplied or will not.
Yoshioka: No, the whole thing of the past is 100% more embarrassing. Since there is not only a bad place to get onto the eye. Well, it is standard but their own. What people are visible in the premium 5 well, your stuff is not bad and it will look at three premium.
- I who on Twitter a question, Do you want to use the design of the TF of such types, but also seems to be even though the design, such as Mega Pretender, Mega Pretender is was unique design It is the end.
Yoshioka: Well, it is a strange design, or where the face with a raw. (Laughs)
- The Pretender or appeared in the comics of e-HOBBY, Why was the design but still memorable?
I like the set of toys overseas edition of The Pretender: Yoshioka. Not say anything.
- What is about the Transformers was familiar from previous drew for the first time?
Yoshioka: At that time, because the viewer is. Was a regular fan.
- When I saw the Transformers What was the initial impression of what?
I liked the sense of incongruity that of simple anime overseas, there is a lot of Japanese animation, mixed occasionally go: Yoshioka. I also like G.I. Joe So (laughs).
- As far as unpublished works personally painted, but seen many characters from Marvel Comics, What was from the old knowledge of the TF comics.
I I was being sold to its side or knowledge that TF Comics, the 1990s is written in English: Overseas Yoshioka. I was in the forest or Parco Book Center of the cartoon. Does not go into and do not go hand shop recently. G2 was a side that was bought at all.
Megatron and Thunderwing
Megatron appeared in the comic scene with Thunder Wing has been faithfully drawn
- Will work variously impressive G2.
Well in many ways: Yoshioka.
- What I mean, it is very American to represent the age of 90. (Laughs)
Question is about the comics, in an interview with Mr. Yoshioka was out the name of an artist called Herb Torinpi previously, including Herb Torinpi, giving a strong impression in Kuieita drew a comic of overseas Why there was a person? I had a lot of individual creators, or ... Andrew Wildman.
Yoshioka: Wild Man is not so much taking out in the table. Feel like I'd be a mixture of John Romita Jr. And Frank Miller ... What a certain period of time when I was doing Mutant Ninja Turtles, I like Jim Lee drew, and now a picture of it. Herb Torinpi when the Japanese version of the Hulk was released, the name was out. Was one of the few names that you know. I mean even if I was affected, the first picture I thought then, "Do not amazing" but there were a lot, and you want to imitate, imitate what can not be is not so. It likes to imitate, personally. Draw to imitate a picture of Jack Kirby In Tough Times ... Tough Times to draw in the "picture of yourself" is indescribably fun.
Trimpe's Incredible Hulk
Herb drew Hulk Torinpi
- Do you have favorite artists in the Japanese manga artist?
It is the teacher Shiro Japanese cartoonist Osamu Narui s: Yoshioka. Children at the time everyone was reading in "Goku Go Go" and "Iron Man Kyodain Space" TV magazine. Later, it is a human teacher drew a Microman Yoshihiro Morifuji, on television magazine. Narui teacher was also drawn Daiakuron. Otaku "Goku Go Go", that his generation should be loved everyone. You can say about even the most important works in the history of Japanese manga for now really.
- Now mecha designers of all, I should at that time I was reading.
Yoshioka: Given the tremendous impact on the cartoon later, will most likely elements from the teacher in the cartoon of the now fairly Narui. Transformers and is not related though.
Next time ..., the secret of the illustrations of Mr. Yoshioka! Thoroughly discussed the TF comics! And the possibility of overseas deployment! ?
The date of publication of the second part of August 8, 2012 (Wed)! To enjoy!
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE